Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Single in Life- so why can't there be a rule to have only a single problem?!

Looong week! Sometimes (well quite often really) I wish that life could understand that I am single and only send me a single problem to deal with at a time!!! Ha! If only...

And being a single parent (not even having someone else to talk to/complain to/ garner sympathy from) well, it's frustrating on most weeks, but this week has been a real winner! I've been having trouble with the 'boys', one in the form of communication (or lack thereof) and one with some very teenage type behaviors! (including a really 'fun' talk with a teacher.) But none of that would be so hard if it weren't for everything else- Jon had another neuropsych eval (results coming soon)- meaning I had to take a day off (getting a sub always seems to triple the work when I get back), Jon had to miss a day of school (putting him behind), and I refuse to even think of the bill that will be coming- just in time for Christmas! (Merry Christmas to me!) Then there is the fun that comes from trying to make the budget somewhat balance... yes, I have some opportunities for a little extra work/money coming my way but- well, let's just say this: I found out my first day of attendance school duty will be the same day as P/T conferences, meaning a 'restful' 14 hour work day for me on a Tuesday! (with Wednesday & P/T conf. plus Thursday still to go). It's great that I have a chance to make a little extra for attendance school but really trying to remember why I volunteered to be at work at 6 AM! And what will Jon be up to without me home at all... UGH!! If I have to be single, can't I at least get a clone?!

So, in my down mood, here's my list of some of the things I miss from my Charly being at school:

1. A second car/driver/ all around taxi... I was really spoiled when Charly could bring Jon home from work, take Jon to school, run to the grocery store/bank/etc. if I had something else I had to do or somewhere else to be!

2. My very own house elf! It drives Char nuts to see a mess (except in her own room ;)!) I would go to work or a meeting or the store or wherever and return to find the house cleaner than when I left- now it doesn't happen! Go figure.Where's my Dobby?!

3. A witness to the fact that Jon has memory problems, not me! (at least not yet!!) Before when Jon said, 'Mom, you never told me that', Charly would say, 'yes she did, Jon!" Now I only get the first half... have you ever tried to argue about the facts of a situation with someone with short term memory problems? Yeah, it NEVER works! I should know!

4. Jon's second mom... Charly is great at saying the SAME EXACT THING to Jon IN THE SAME EXACT WORDS I use- but guess what, where Jon would only heave an enormous sigh and roll his eyes at me, he will say 'ok' and do whatever Charly asks! I really miss Charly's sister super power!

5. Jon's best friend... Charly truly is one of Jon's best friends. She is someone he can confide in, someone who can get him to get out of his natural shell and do more (like go to football games, go on dates, have Halloween parties,...) I know I can't be that for Jon.

6. Notes on the bathroom mirror. Char would leave me occasional notes on the bathroom mirror (gotta love expo markers), and quite often those notes were things I really needed to hear- some of my SPED teacher training must have rubbed off on her because she always found something good to say about whatever life brought into our house!

7. My best friend- yes, Charly is still around quite often, but life (AS IT SHOULD!) has taken some of our time away. I often miss my best friend...

However, Charly is doing EXACTLY WHAT SHE SHOULD BE DOING at this time in her life- and it has brought so many blessings to all of us! Besides, I appreciate all of the things above precisely because she is not here right now.

Blessings in my life (too many to mention, but here are a few):

1. Extra work opportunities- making ends meet somewhere even close to the middle is more difficult, so every extra chance to earn a little bit here and there helps!

2. Jon and I being the only two home... as much as we both miss others, we are having fun along the way- just ask Jon about the DVD of the first season of the original Star Trek- don't think we've laughed so hard in a long time!

3. Charly at college- I am so proud of that young woman! Seeing her grow is an amazing blessing to me!

But this quote from my favorite author (Charly herself!) says it all for my week... (Thank you, Charly, for always reminding me of what I know to be true!):
"I knew that even though life was hard at that moment, the Lord knew what he was doing and that He was planning a happy eternity for me, better than I could imagine. All I had to do was my part, and He'd even help with that."

1 comment:

  1. Aw. Such a sweet post. Made me cry a few times. Sorry you're having a rough spell... I remember hearing people say "life is hard" but somehow it still surprises me now that I'm adult... I guess because they never said "life is ALWAYS hard." Haha. Hang in there. I have no great advice, but I'm pulling for you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete