Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Monday, October 10, 2011

For the Boys...

Washing machine still out- but very thankful for my parents and their washing machine! (although after I used their machine the first time, their water softener quit, and it quit in a big way- 'black, gunky water coming out of the taps... wonder if it is just my luck these days!) Also thankful for extra work, a great friend giving me free tomatoes- as in a lot of tomatoes (36 pints of salsa, 10 pints of tomato sauce and a dozen quarts of tomatoes- yes, a lot of tomatoes!!) and so thankful for my Jon...

Jon being home alone with me has brought to my mind one of the hardest parts of being single- at least for me! A little background: I grew up between two brothers who loved to discourage the girl-type things I would do and encourage the boy-type things (climbing trees, playing with snakes and salamanders, playing video games, reading sci-fi, watching the 'A-Team'... you get the idea). And I loved every minute of it! As I grew older, and moved here to Utah, I began to realize that most of my good friends were guys. I did have several close girl friends, but by and far, I related to guys- and not in the dating sort of crush-type way... By the time I went to college, I was surrounded by men- majored in a male-dominated field and played with all the guys in the singles ward. 

One of the favorite pics from my wedding... I wished I could have had male 'bridesmaids'- but even so, these guys are still a highlight in my life!


So what's one of the hardest parts of being single? I cannot have the guy friends... Most of the time, I am single and they are married- even though my interest may be in the shows they enjoy or simply the desire to talk about a video game- I cannot do that- my mom was right- there is too much that can seem wrong, too many variables not under my control- it, simply put, invites trouble in too many ways. The single guys? well, they are either too young or, if not, they assume my interest is in getting married- what happened to being a friend?! Life is weird and complicated when it comes to any guy friends...

Leaves me feeling so very grateful for my two boys- the ones I can be friends with even though I must also be mom! I am so blessed to have this time with my Jon!


2 comments:

  1. I have a ton of tomatoes still and absolutely no time/desire to do any canning. I was always a guy's girl too... not much dating but lots of guy friends, who were WAY better than my girl friends. And yeah, it's now awkward and weird and ... avoid the appearance of evil and jealous wives and all that. Such a sad thing, but better safe than sorry. We should have a guy-girl's night... just us girls who hung out with guys... doing something other than all the girly things that all the girls do together. Haha. Like, let's eat something greasy and watch LOTR or something... NO PRESSURE to read Jane Austen or books about love struck vampires or to watch movies about being sappy and doe eyed. *sigh* Of course, my nights are currently being over taken by one little girly girl... so we might have to do it in a few months. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love this! (although I guess I'm also a girly girl as to Jane Austen- but NOT the vampires... hoping one day to love the sappy again, though, when I get my real life sappy- and yes, I said WHEN!)

    ReplyDelete