Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Of cars, cows, ties, and other summer things...

So the morning after Eric and Alison's beautiful wedding, I received a phone call...

Charly's car is gone. (It took me a while to even be able to post this pic). The best part, Charly did not get hurt (except for a few acid burns from the airbags- but they are healed now.) She is still without a car, she still flinches when I drive on a regular basis, but she was so protected in an accident that could have resulted in so much worse. I am so grateful for the blessing of her safety!




We love Chick-fil-a! Anyone who missed out (or chose not to participate) in Cow Appreciation Day, missed some of the best memories of the summer. Just look at these adorable faces and tell me I'm wrong. (I especially loved the non-stop 'mooing' from our little neighbor boy! As Tabitha put it so aptly, I just have to quote her: "I just love this kid!") I am so blessed to be able to play with my kids!



I'm working on a summer project (mostly because I love a challenge, but also because I have a really hard time saying 'no' to my daughter!) It's a 'quilt' made up entirely of neckties! (more of a throw, really, as it will not have any batting or backing...) Our dear friend and neighbor, Ella, is an amazingly talented quilter, and Charly saw some of her work when we celebrated Ella's birthday. Charly really wanted me to make her a wedding ring quilt- but I soon convinced her that I would NOT be doing that- so then Charly decided I should make a tie quilt. Now I could have opened the ties and used the material in several ways, but Ella suggested that I embroider the edges together- and me not knowing exactly what that should look like, I let my imagination take over (that and the fact that I also had a broken sewing machine...) and dusted off my Young Women's years- all those hours spent in homemaking type activities- knitting, crocheting, embroidery- all those skills I never quite mastered, have rarely used, but have been great to know when I need them! So, now I think I have enough ties- or at least a couple of other people have promised me enough ties- I have figured out a pattern, I have figured out a stitch to use, I have dusted off my boxes of thread, and have spent- I don't want to count how many- hours stitching and arranging and- well- I'm almost halfway done! It is unique if nothing else- but I have to admit, I kind of like it! I am so blessed to have had such wonderfully talented women like my grandmother and mother who have taught me the skills and the love necessary to create such things for the people I love! Love you, Charly!

Last thing, happy birthday today to someone who will always mean a lot to me!

1 comment:

  1. The car.... oye. Sorry. Cow days??? Never heard of it. Haha. Looks fun? :) And the tie quilt looks AWESOME!!! :) I want to see it in real life when you get it finished!

    ReplyDelete