Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Of Con Men, Cakes, and Camping...

Camping (with the exception of Grandma Camping) is not my favorite recreational activity. I love the outdoors, love the fire, love the stars, can deal with the bugs and the dirt... but REALLY miss my climate controlled sleeping environment and running water! Yes, I know, I am spoiled! Yet this summer and the near future promises to re-introduce me to real camping... could be a good thing, right?

Plus I finished my denim quilt- will be great for camping when it's colder!

 Yeah! I LOVE my current recipe for angel food cake. It's not as great as Grandma Opal's- but it turns out! Just wish I had taken a pic of the finished product after adding a blueberry/strawberry fruit sauce and whipped cream- YUM!!! Happy birthday to Luke's Dad and Mom! Too bad their birthdays are the same week- less excuse to make this again right away!

And con men... well, I have been thinking about the past year, all the lonely days, all the rotten men I have met on the Internet (who turned out to be con men through and through...). I have been so very blessed with these experiences! Life has been lonely in some ways, but in meeting and corresponding with these men, never once was I tempted to buy into any part of what they were selling. I have been blessed with so many good friends and such a great family- all of which has blessed me with the security to overcome the lonely! I was able to live with being lonely- without the heartache and various other challenges that would have occurred had I chosen to believe the falsehoods, to in essence listen to those con men. And in recognizing this great blessing, I can see how my Father in Heaven has once again taught me a valuable lesson about myself with each experience. 

Life is so very beautiful when I look for the blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Ew. Camping. Blecht. Camping should only be done in a hotel, with a pool and room service. :) But the cake looks amazing! Mmmm. Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy climate control too, and a bed, and a shower and toliet. Definitely. I've never camped in a trailer, but if I ever get to, I'm sure I'll like it much better than in a tent. :)

    So great that you can see the blessings even in meeting the shmucks that are out there. When I became a single mom, I really wanted to find someone, but knew he had to meet certain standards, not just be anyone who wanted to spend time with me. I prayed as I looked online and went to singles dances, firesides and activities that I'd have the gift of discernment to avoid the men who just wanted money or sex. There was one guy who seemed very interested and asked for my number, but never called. I later found out that it was good I didn't go out with him! I had very few dates, but realized that it was better than dealing with what some of my friends were dealing with who were going out with anyone who would ask. It is so good to notice the tender mercies of the Lord even through trials and see that we aren't alone, even when we feel like we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments- it's always nice to know I'm not the only one meeting the 'shmucks'! But I I think I finally found a non-shmuck... stay tuned.

      Delete