Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Monday, April 23, 2012

Best 'Burgers' Ever! Can't wait to try the chicken....


I usually have this contraption hanging on my wall... and everyone asks, 'what is that thing?!'

So here is what my Grandma Opal used it for- and why I keep it around:

Step 1: Add a piece of patty paper and a mound of burger...









Step 2: Add more patty paper and close...
                                                                         Step 3: Viola! The perfect patty!
Here is my amazing niece Shayla's best 'burger' recipe: it is so good!

SPICY HAWAIIAN BURGERS
Adapted from Homemade by Holman- made by Shayla!

2 pounds ground chicken (I used ground turkey)
6 pineapple rings (or equivalent slices, cut about 1/2" - 3/4" thick)
6 slices pepper jack cheese (optional)
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder (if you want any kind of “spicy” you may want to double this…)
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine the ground chicken, soy sauce, paprika, chili powder, seasoning salt and cumin. Lightly mix with your hands and divide into 6 even balls. Form patties.. Refrigerate about 30 minutes.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Coat grates lightly with oil. Grill burgers over medium heat about 6 minutes per side. The burgers should flip easily when they are ready to turn, if they want to stick, give them another minute. Top with cheese for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking time to melt. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest. Grill buns if desired.

For the pineapple, if you are using rings, grill directly on the grates over medium heat. Carefully turn after 1-2 minutes. If you are using pineapple slices or chunks, thread onto skewers and grill skewers in the same fashion. Assemble burgers and enjoy.

So good with the pineapple, pickles and BBQ sauce!
It also goes great with Black Beans and brown rice!

Spicy Black Beans

In a pressure cooker, combine:

2 cups dry black beans
3 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
2 cubes chipolte seasoning (I use knorr brand)
¼ teaspoon red pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

Cook until beans are tender.

Add 1 can tomato sauce and 3-4 garlic cloves, minced. stir over heat for 5 minutes.

This can be used as a side dish or it’s great in burritos. This can also be mashed and used as a dip.

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased that you like them! It was a fantastic find for a recipe. Now that you have mentioned them I want to make them again.... Yum!

    ReplyDelete