Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Blessings of a Sci-Fi Geek!

Tardis door I made for Jon last Christmas

I am definitely a sci-fi geek! -Just ask any of my children, especially Charly (she dreads
being seen with me in public in any of my most beloved t-shirts! You know, the ones with the tardis, David Tennant or a random dalek... Can't imagine why!)

My love of all things sci-fi (or science fantasy) began with my older brother, Dan. He was a great older brother for me to have growing up: kind, wise, and very much interested in science fiction! Dan started my love of this genre by having me read a little known trilogy called 'The Riddle Master of Hed'- great books! Then it was on to Terry Brooks' world of Shannara, JRR Tolkien's middle earth, Timothy Zahn's Cobras, Atari games, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Greatest American Hero (even cheesy was great!), Battlestar Galactica (the original with the guys with the great hair!), and, of course, Tom Baker as Doctor Who! Love them all! What a blessing to spend so much time with my brother, Dan, enjoying all of the wonders of imagination.

Then the joys of having my children... When Eric was four years old, he saw an
old cartoon version of 'The Lord of the Rings' and wanted more. So I read him 'The Hobbit'. By the time Eric was in kindergarten, I had also read him the complete 'Lord of the Rings'. Years before Peter Jackman's movies were ever made, Eric went to 'my favorite book character day' at school as Frodo Baggins (6 years old)! Yes, that's my boy!

I am also proud to say that I was the only mom who knew that Eric (this pic) was not being Zelda for Halloween- he is Link! I am that mom- the one who plays the video games with her kids and all the neighbor boys too. In fact, I am such a video game nerd that I actually beat all the neighbor kids at those games! But my boys love it! And all the discussions we have had over the years while playing have been a tremendous blessing to me!

And then there is my Jonathan... he is my equal when it comes to a love for Doctor Who. Jon had quite a struggle learning to read; between his speech difficulties and his unique learning style and learning challenges, Jon's reading abilities could not keep up with his love of the written word. So, to my great benefit, I would spend hours every night reading aloud from many wonderful books- 'The Lord of the Rings', 'Harry Potter', even 'Redwall'. So many years and so many hours with my favorite Jonathan and my favorite genre!

Being a sci-fi geek is not for everyone, but I can't imagine my life any other way!

3 comments:

  1. You are most guys dream! haha

    I had no idea about this.. and I think it's awesome about you!

    Have you ever seen Firefly or Farscape? Chad LOVED those.. and also Stargate as well as all the others that you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was "Have Space Suit-Will Travel" that started me off. And then watching Star Trek with my mom. I found Doctor Who on KUED when I was still in grade school. Then I was hooked. It's been fun sharing the Doctor Who stuff with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, so fun! And yes, love Stargate! (even Stargate Atlantis...)

    And Ann, haven't met any of those guys yet- if you do, please send him my way! ;)

    ReplyDelete