Why this blog...

I am the mother of the three most talented, intelligent and beautiful children ever to live on this earth. I am also privileged to be married to the most wonderful man! He has added three additional talented, intelligent and beautiful children to our family! I have a job that I mostly love, a wonderful education, a beautiful home, marvelous family, and I have the privilege of belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been greatly blessed in my life, but I sometimes forget that. So, I decided to create this blog as a way to remind myself of all the many blessings and miracles that surround me. (I'm also terrible at keeping a journal- so this will be something for my kids to enjoy as well.)

I hope you enjoy what you read. I would love to hear what you think!

Deanne

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Miracle of the Broken Water Main

The following account is true, all of it, and yes, you read the title correctly- broken water mains can be miracles and blessings!

It all happened during what at the time I viewed as the worst year of my life... After years of struggles, I filed for divorce. My children were 1, 3, and 6 years of age, I didn't have a job, and I was now solely responsible for the mortgage payment on a 100+ year old house. It was November, and I was having trouble with my furnace. So, I called the gas company to have someone take a look. In his wisdom, the gas company rep decided to shut the gas off to my house, saying that I would need to re-line my flue before the gas could be turned back on! Did I mention I had three small children, and it was November?! The repair would take eight days. In the meantime, my parents graciously consented to allow the four of us to move in to their home.

During this week, as I was trying to stay warm in my house, waiting for Eric to be done with his kindergarten class for the day, I noticed that the water would not work. Yes, the water main had broken! I got the water shut off, but after some digging, discovered that the break could not be found. You see, my house was so old that the city had moved the road after the water main had been run. So instead of leaving my house and curving toward the road, my water main left my house and curved away from the road to who knows where. The plumber told me that the least expensive solution would be to dig a new water main. (The trench needed to run 3/4 the length of the 1/3 acre lot!) I did not have the money to do this, and with winter starting, it would be springtime before my neighbors would be able to help me dig the needed trench.

The result of this situation was that my children and I ended up spending eight months at my parent's home instead of the original eight days. Living in my parent's home at this time were two of my brothers, my sister, my parents, and my grandmother. My children and I were able to stay in a room that measured 10 feet by 12 feet. It had one twin sized bed, a crib for Jon and a small dresser. Eric and Charly slept in sleeping bags on the floor. This was the arrangement for the first two months. Then, after my sister's marriage, Eric and Charly were able to move downstairs to a bedroom with real beds.

My family was not used to having small children and their resultant noises and messes around. Life was not always easy or pleasant sharing the house. I also had to drive Eric to kindergarten across the valley, wait at my house, with no water, and bring him back, leaving my mother to tend the other children as I could not have them spending several hours without a bathroom. Bedtime for the kids was also a challenge as my grandmother, being hard of hearing, would listen to the radio or her television shows at full volume on the other side of the wall from Jon's crib, not always an ideal situation to say the least.

At the end of the eight months, as the repairs came to completion and my children and I were able to move back home, my wonderful mother was diagnosed with cancer. This year of my life saw the end of my marriage, eight months without a home and my mother's passing into the next life.

So, why do I say this was a miracle? I have come to realize that this was not the worst year of my life. In fact, I count this year as one of the most magnificently wonderful years of my life. This year was full of blessings and miracles.

My marriage ended, but I have come to see that, given the circumstances, it was the best thing for me. I could not stay in my house, but I came to realize the generosity of my neighbors and my family: my neighbors for helping to repair my home, my family for offering me theirs for a time. Despite the struggles to adjust our lifestyles and blend our families, no perhaps because of those struggles, my children and I grew much closer to my family, learning more appreciation and love for them than we would have under other circumstances.

Driving Eric to kindergarten was an immense blessing in many ways. I was able to spend time alone talking to Eric every one of those days. Charly and Jonathan were able to spend time with their grandmother. My mother not only cared for them and fed them lunch, she would arrange for an art project or other activity that she would do with Charly everyday when Jon was having his nap. Although she was only three years old, Charly well remembers that time spent with Grandma. I was able to spend four hours each of those days repairing and improving my house. It was an old home that needed the attention, and by not having the children there, I was able to complete many needed repairs.

The broken water main was also, believe it or not, a financial blessing because of the generosity of my dad. For eight months, I did not have to pay for groceries (Thanks again, Dad!) and my utility bills were very small.

For me, personally, the biggest blessing and best thing to come out of this year was my opportunity to spend time with my mom every day. To have family prayers with her every morning, to talk for hours as we completed chores side by side, to hear her tell me that she loved me every night before I went to bed, these memories are so priceless to me now that she is gone. What a miracle that my loving Father in Heaven saw fit to allow my water main to break at this time of my life. It was nothing short of a miracle. If it had happened the next year, it would have happened too late. If it had not happened at all, if what I thought would be best and prayed so earnestly for at that time (a quick repair and back to my home) had happened instead, I would have missed all of those months with my mother.

I am so grateful to my Father for blessing me so abundantly, for giving me what I needed most instead of what I wanted. I know that He does hear and answer my prayers. I just hope that you and I can see the miracles that surround us every day.

3 comments:

  1. You're making me cry like a little baby. Such a beautiful story! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so incredibly sweet, Deanne. So sweet.

    And.... I am so excited about having this window into your life. I hope you don't mind me looking in on you. I have LONG (like since we were kids) wanted to be good, great, best friends with you. I'm excited because I have found shared blogging to be incredibly bonding with other friends-- it is so nice to think I can have access to you and yours despite the miles and the years. Wonderful.

    My love to you-- Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this entry Deanne! You are an excellent writer and have a gift of expressing yourself!

    ReplyDelete